Sunday 12 February 2012

We're Off to Trinidad Carnival!

At long last we will soon board our Caribbean Airlines plane for Port-of-Spain! Trinidad is only about 7 hours away and I can't wait! It’s cold enough in Toronto and there is enough snow on the ground that I’ll appreciate the hot weather in Trinidad 100% more.
It seems like I go through six stages of Trinidad Carnival:

1.      Recovering from Trinidad Carnival from Ash Wednesday to the following week.

2.      Preliminary planning for the next Trinidad Carnival until about June; I book my hotel during this period as soon as the hotel has opened its reservation.

3.      Beginning to get the Trinidad Carnival fever in July – October with the various band launches and finally booking my flight before the fares increase.

4.      Picking my band and section and beginning to envision my boots and other accessories in November - December.

5.      January to day of flight is a whirlwind of activity but the biggest part is deciding what fetes I want to go to and trying to get tickets (I wish this was easier).

6.      And then I’m finally in Trinidad for Carnival!

Caribbean Airlines claims that the party begins on board so I’m curious to experience whatever that is. Although, I should try to sleep on board since I won’t be getting much once I land!

My first day in Trinidad for Carnival is what I call Pick-Up Day. No, it’s not what you think! I’m picking up my Carnival costume and goody bag, picking up my Jouvert costume (well t-shirt) and picking up my various fete tickets. Hope all goes smoothly! Wish me luck!