Monday 30 January 2012

Trinidad Carnival Extras

We are about 3 weeks away from Trinidad Carnival and all your major decisions are made. Your flight is booked, your accommodation is reserved (and paid for), your costume will be picked up shortly. So today we’ll focus on the Carnival extras. The ‘go big or go home’ stuff – carnival makeup, jewellery, mas footwear and bag.


Carnival Makeup
When you see someone with great makeup that complements a great costume, you can’t help but be jealous. However, I still struggle with this one. There are several professionals who offer their services to masqueraders and they are all very talented. I not a fan of waking up at 4:00 am to have my makeup done, but this year I’ll be using a professional, Kwesi Yearwood, for the first time.

One year I purchased custom eye shadow and gems to complement my costume from Melissa Deane (makeupdean@gmail.com). The colours were fantastic – green, purple and gold. Melissa demonstrated (on paper) 2 options and I was sure I could do it myself. But I found that you really do need to be skilled to use bold colours or you should practice, practice, practice before you attempt to do it for the first time on Carnival Monday or Tuesday.

Check out this facebook page for makeup artists or ideas Carnival Makeup Ideas.


Carnival Jewellery
Your costume may include the jewellery the model is wearing (double check) and if you like it, great. If you don’t like it or you want to add more pieces I encourage you to shop around for inexpensive jewellery to make your costume pop. I caution you to avoid heavy pieces, while they may look fantastic, you’ll be ready to throw them away after an hour or two.




Carnival Footwear
Comfort, comfort, comfort is a must for Carnival Monday and Tuesday. Whether you choose running shoes or boots, do take the time to decorate them. It’s probably too late to have if professionally done. But it’s not too difficult to do a simple design. Take some inspiration from my favourite professional, Boots by Afro Chic.

With one trip to the dollar store where I picked up glitter paint, gems and feather boas I transformed plain black boots to fab boots.
Monday boots

Tuesday boots

If I can do it, you can as well.

Carnival Bag

Yes, your band is all inclusive and drinks and meals will be provided. But you still need something to carry your cell phone, keys, lipstick, etc. I have used Bags by Mimi Website (Bags by Mimi Facebook) previously, but she’s no longer taking orders. Tote-e-bags is also no longer taking orders. However, look at their photos and hopefully you’ll be motivated to decorate your custom bag.

If you are going to decorate your boots, why not decorate a bag as well. I had one made for me but if that's not an option, while at the dollar store, pick up a jewellery bag. Change the string to make it long enough to use as a wristlet or cross body. With extra glitter paint and gems my plain bag will soon look fabulous. 
 Remember go big or go home!